Sunday, May 29, 2022

Watermelon Quilt - Taste the Summer

Lovely Summer Colors for The Watermelon Quilt

Too many irons in the fire ...  In addition to planning for multiple simultaneous weaving projects, I am also continuing to plan quilting projects, too.  I just got these watermelon jelly rolls and have been contemplating how to put them together so that the watermelon idea remains intact.

I want to stick with my standard Fuzzy Logic Strip Therapy quilt pattern. It makes me happy, and it's fun to do.  And always a satisfying finish!  ;-)

The 2 jelly rolls include a nice balance of greens and watermelon reds, along with 4 strips of black for the seeds. I thought about using black for the sashing between the blocks, but have since decided that would require too much black and throw off the color balance ... 
 

I have since decided that it would be better to integrate the black seeds along with a watermelon red square -- making them both half the original size.  This would better simulate the size and quantity of the seeds with the overall watermelon.   

The accent sashing should be something lighter -- like the white part of the melon rind.   This is what I finally chose as the accent fabric.  It's a little grungy -- has a touch of green, like a watermelon rind, and a touch of blue like the sky on a perfect day for a picnic.

I took a few watermelon blocks up to my favorite Quilt Shop in Appleton last month and auditioned fabrics for the rind.  This was the clear winner!

The thin inner border can be black, with something that ties it all together for the border --That pink watermelon check in the top picture will be the perfect compliment!

The rectangle with the bit of black for the watermelon seeds didn't quite come out as planned, but I'm going to run with it.  They are a little long to mimic seeds.  I should have worked it so they were squatter and fatter, not running the long part of the rectangle.  But in the overall quilt, this will be perfectly fine.

Even though it's red and green, this is distinctly NOT a Christmas Quilt.  Far from it!  Taste the summer!

Now I need to finish pressing all the blocks, and then trim them up before I can lay them out on the design wall for final assembly. Who-hooh!

Now to prove that we did go out-and-do this holiday weekend ...

 

Sophie at the Water's Edge

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

This is great! And I really like that grunge rind fabric. I immediately thought you could quilt seed shapes in those black areas. This could be a picnic quilt. Love the addition of the dog picture in the wilds. Happy Memorial Day Weekend!