Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Weaving Again! -- Diamond Twill


Diamond Twill in Blue and Green Wool

After more than 2 weeks of setting up the loom (I am dependent on weekends for winter daylight and days off around the holidays), I finally got the loom set up and ready to weave again!  If you want to weave, you have to make peace with the warping process -- It takes as long to set up a project as it does to weave it!

This is a project I was Planning a Diamond Twill back in January.  Today was the moment of truth where I finally moved beyond the multiple steps of threading, winding on, and fixing threading errors to the sheer satisfaction of weaving and seeing the pattern emerge as planned.

Eureka! and Woo-hooh!  It's working!

1 repeat of the treadle sequence makes 3-1/4 inches of fabric. 

I am using the larger bird's eye maple shuttle made by Jim Hockett for this project.  It's large enough to make it through 28 inches of open shed, and light enough not to weigh down the progress.  Also the larger bobbin holds more yarn so I don't have to stop as often to reload.  

1 full 6-inch bobbin will wave about 16 inches of cloth.

The shed was a little sticky to begin with ...  I was wondering if I'd be able to progress, but things are working nicely now.  This sturdy shuttle helps to separate the reluctant fibers into the proper levels.


I used a 10-dent reed with 2 threads per slot, and I'm wondering if maybe I should have gone with the 12-dent for a slightly denser fabric?

There are a couple spots where either I missed a slot, or (more likely) the strings broke and pulled out as I was winding on -- but I have not been able to find any empty heddles to re-thread.  ???  There is a slight gap in a few places, but I think I can push the strings over to fill the space.

Voi la!

It will look different once it's been wet-finished and the fibers plump up.

No comments: