Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Making Ink: Coffee Bean Ink - Folgers Decaf


 

Coffee Ink (Folger's Decaf)

What can I say?  We are not coffee people at my house. We drink tea.  The Folgers instant coffee (decaf) was leftover from years ago when my Dad came for Thanksgiving ...  Since it is what I had on hand, I wanted to give it a try ...  wondering if the decaf. and dissolving processes would impact the quality of the ink? [It also makes me wonder how to make water-soluble walnut ink crystals?  but I digress ...]  I think I was also using this to age paper and create textures that way years ago ...


 Coffee Bean Ink

from Jason Logan [The Make Ink Guy]'s workshop handout.

Coffee Beans make a great ink pigment.  Grind the coffee beans, or use dark espresso powder, and you have your pigment!

  • 1/2 cup ground coffee
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 tsp vinegar
  • 1 tsp salt

Put the coffee and water in a pot and simmer on low for 1 hour.  Remove from heat and allow to steep overnight.  This step is not necessary, but the longer it steeps, the darker your ink will be.  

Strain the ink through a fine-screened sieve and return to the stove. 

Simmer the ink on low until it reaches the desired consistency and color. Add the vinegar and salt to lock the color in.  You should have about 1 cup of ink when you're done.  Store in a small glass jar with a lid, such as a baby food jar.

Coffee Ink (Folger's Decaf)


 Samples of Coffee Ink


Samples of Coffee Ink with copper watercolor.

Coffee Ink on a library catalog card.

No comments: