Sunday, June 11, 2023

Making Ink: Rooibos Tea Ink




 
Rooibos Tea Ink Recipe
from Jason Logan [The Make Ink Guy]'s workshop handout.
 
1 tsp loose Rooibos Tea (or 1 teabag)
1 Tablespoon of boiling water
Steep for 20 minutes.
 

 
Filter the tea and add a pinch of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and boil the tea for a few minutes. 

This is the tea when I first put it on to boil.  I had just added the baking soda ...
 

 Here it is after simmering for 3-4 minutes.  The color is darker as it reduced in the pan, as would be expected.  Not sure if the baking soda deepened / changed the color or not?

 The residue left in the pan.

To thicken it, add a bit of powdered gum arabic.  
To preserve this ink, add 1/2 tsp vinegar and a pinch of salt.
 

 
This amount fit nicely in a Penzy's spice jar.  Could have made a double batch!
 
It's a different red than the avocado ink from a few weeks ago.  

I bought a fancy feather pen that makes it much easier to write with these inks.
The crappy old calligraphy set I had was not ideal.
 

Rooibos Tea Ink on an old Library catalog card.
That's what I have on hand -- My day job is a Medical Librarian.  We just don't use these old catalog cards anymore, so now they've taken on a new life in mixed media!

2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oooo, there's an idea. I don't particularly care for the taste of this kind of tea but have some around I could experiment with. Simple enough to make apparently!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I'm looking more closely at the recipe and wondering if the amount of boiling water is right. I can't make sense of a single tbsp of water making the amount you are showing, even with the addition of the vinegar.