Sunday, January 28, 2024

StV Coverlet - Double Bow Knot in Red, Cream and Blue


I found this stunning coverlet at St Vincent de Paul's thrift store this weekend, hanging with the bedding and linens, priced for a mere $6.  I bought it without even batting an eye.  Clearly, the sorters had no idea what it was!  Indeed-- Just a few years ago, I would not have known what it was either!

It's in remarkable shape.  No tears, rips, or fading.  It's clean and doesn't smell bad.  So it's been cared for all these years ...  It's "light" so consider it a summer coverlet.


The pattern has a blooming leaf motif -- or Double Bow Knot-- in blue and red wool, with a natural colored warp and tabby.

The center seam is sewn with a zig-zag stitch.  Not sure if that was a later repair, or if this is from a time when people would have had sewing machines?  The earliest machines only did straight stitch.   I am nearing the end of weaving the 4th panel for my own Mountain Cucumber Coverlet, and still considering ways to join the panels together.  Zigzag might be the way to go for a more secure join?


Wow!  I still can't believe it was hanging there at St. Vinnie's!   The find of the century!  

I know I said I was done collecting coverlets since the cedar chest is full now, but this one needed an appreciative home.


1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Wow indeed! What a beauty. It was waiting just for you . . .