Monday, November 05, 2007

10 Great Things about Quilt Camp

No pictures for this entry. Hope you don't mind the text ...

1) Concentrated time to sew-sew-sew!
2) Catching up with Ma and Rosita (fellow family quilters)
3) Getting to see all the other neat projects and color combinations all the other ladies are working on. Bobbi made several envelope purses--I got the "pattern" from her. Expect to see a few of them here in the coming weeks. Mrs. C. made a gorgeous winter quilt that was red, white, blue and green. I took notes on her colors because it was such a pleasing combination in perfect proportions ...
4) Learn new things : Do you know what WORMS are?
My mom was working on a quilt made with "worms." Since it was for a man, I was thinking she meant there were worms as patterns and motifs in the guy-fabric. No--she meant those pre-cut jelly roll strips.
5) They feed us very well. Someone else cooks and cleans up for us. Hurray! Usually, the food is great. Here are some highlights from the menu this time : a very tasty apple strudle (made with organic apples) and cinnamon buns loaded with frosting (What can I say? I don't get these at home!), home-made potato soup, and a delicious broccoli curry over noodles. All we have to do is sew-sew-sew! (and eat-eat-eat!) There's also a table loaded with snacks to tide us over between meals. We don't want for anything!
6) Quilt Camp is usually set next to a beautiful lake with lots of trees around with gorgeous sunsets visible through the windows. I don't usually take the time away from sewing to walk in the woods--usually because I can't convince anyone to go with me into the woods. Sigh!
7) This Quilt Camp was hosted by Cutting Edge Quilt Shop in Antigo, WI, my home town. This time, there was a whole group of teachers-who-quilt in attendance. I think most of them were newly retired. The lady who sat next to me was Mrs. C.--I used to babysit for her kids back in the day. Nice to catch up with her.
8) Great commaraderie. If you forget to bring something, usually someone else brought enough to share (ie batting for one of Bobbi's envelope purses). If you don't know how to put on your bindings, someone there will be more than willing to show you how they do it.
9) You get to see and hear all the other sewing machines people use. You really don't need a fancy $6K Viking to accomplish some gorgeous quilts. It was neat to hear all those Vikings humming along ...
10) A break from my family--separation makes the heart grow fonder. I always come back with even more love and admiration for my swell family who encourages me to go on these retreats. I am so fortunate!


At 37, I'm usually the youngest quilt camper in attendance. Where are the younger people? I am also one of the youngest people in my Quilt Guilds. Is the younger generation scrap-booking? Or living it up in 2nd Life and facebook?

No comments: