Friday, November 16, 2007

Wet Studio


I thought I would share my "wet studio." This is an area of my basement adapted for messy projects like hand-dying cloth and soap-making. A batch of soap is curing on the blue plastic in the picture above. My husband (who cooks at our house) is very insistent that I not use the kitchen for these types of projects. He does not want the kitchen contaminated with lye (for soap-making) or dye powders or other chemicals I might use for my mess-making--so he helped carve out my basement retreat area.

It's a 120-year-old house, so the basement is not one of those nice living area spaces. I have plastic covering the wall behind the counter area because the mortar in the stonework sheds its salts. There's always a gritty powder coming off the walls ... The plastic keeps that residue off my work space.

The basement stays nice and cool in the heat of summer, and is a great place to retreat since we don't have air conditioning. The my soap and dye season is over until next summer, as the basement is too cold to work in for very long.

We got the cabinet at a moving sale for a great price! It cleans up easily, and has lots of storage space underneath.


To the right of the counter is a shop-type washtub that my husband trash-picked several years ago. (What a visionary!) This has been wonderful for rinsing dyed fabric, and cleaning up my messes.

We replaced all the windows last fall, so now we actually have LIGHT in that previously dark and dreary basement.

You'll have to wait until I clean up my sewing room before I feature that in a post!

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

I do my dyeing on the basement too but I have to do all of the rinse work and soapmaking in the kitchen. I can't have any running water in the basement because it's below the grade of the septic - no way to get rid of the water! It works though.