Sunday, April 13, 2008

Purchases - 2008 Quilt Festival in Chicago





Rust Dyed Silk Scarf from Lois Jarvis, the Rust-Tex Lady. Rust-Tex.com
She was great about showing me her whole portfolio to find me just the right rust-dyed scarf for me. I was looking for a stormy skies pattern.

I told her flat out "I could buy your CD tutorial, buy the supplies, including lovely blank silk satin scarves, but I know mine would not turn out as nice as yours. So buying one would be a better investment for me." She was happy to oblige. ;-)

I admitted I tried the herb dyeing as shown on The Wisconsin Gardener a few years ago. My results were disappointing (think : spots of mold from celery seed)--I still have all those scarves in a bag marked for a recovery/reclaiming/overdye project someday. Lois said she didn't have much luck with that either ... but her stuff is beautiful!

That said, the techniques she shows and teaches in her tutorial are repeatable and predictable patterns. If you are interested in rust-dyeing techniques, I would highly recommend her stuff. She's done her research. Hmmmhh ... I might get her CD yet.

What else did I purchase at the Chicago Quilt Show?


10 yards of Misty Fuse.
This is a wonderfully versatile fusible! If you've taken any classes with Sue Bleiweiss, you know the virtues of this stuff. A new idea for me was to color a piece of MF with Jacquard Paints or Dye-na Flow paints. It's filmy enough to let a background color through--a little like cheesecloth.
This has great potential for all sorts of texture and color ...


2 sample squares of Hobbs Silk Batting
The Hobbs stand was selling good-sized silk squares for $1 each.
The local quilt shops don't carry the silk batts (It's expensive.). I wanted to FEEL it before I bought a whole batt online.
It's Hobbs--looks kind of like the cotton 80/20 (same color) It is silkier, though. To make it hold together as a batt, they had to use a small amount of poly and resin. They said it gets silkier after it's washed. This means I can continue my Harriet Hargrave batting sample squares ...

They also suggested asking the local quilt shop to order what I wanted / needed. The quilt shop would not have to order in bulk. That sounds like a plan!

A few buttons from Laura Murray's stand :


I plan to use these for closures on Journals. I also want to study the finish so I can attempt effects like these with paper clay or polymer clay pieces.

No comments: