Monday, June 01, 2009

Maple Sap Soap


Last weekend, I was able to make 2 batches of soap, now that the wet studio is in better shape to allow working on new projects. I used a strong tea (Tazo Passion Fruit and Honey Bush Peach) made with Maple Sap, instead of plain water. As with the goat-milk and honey soaps, I'm hoping the sugars in the sap will carmelize in the saponification process. I'm not sure how much of the tea scent (I didn't use any fragrance or essential oils) will be left at the end of the curing process, but it sure smelled good in the making! This batch will be ready in another 5 weeks.

A few years ago, I went to a craft show and purchased soap from a remarkable soap-maker at Century Farmhouse. Her soaps had unusual combinations of scents and ingredients. The scents were not over-powering, just really pleasant ... I bought a bar of her maple sap and walnut soap--and I've been savoring it ever since. The Wake-Me Up Rosemary was also very nice. Do check out her site, and her soap! She is a real Wisconsin Artisan!

No comments: