Monday, June 01, 2009

Salmon


I finished the Salmon wall hanging!

It is actually nice and square. It's my design wall that is a little warped, falling over a bookshelf behind it. I don't have the hanging pocket on it yet.

The pattern is from Quilts with a Twist in Alaska. When I ordered it last summer, they sent a nice note along with it. I live in Oshkosh, WI, and dream of going to Alaska one day ... They live in Alaska, and remembered coming to Oshkosh for the EAA Air Show one year, when they used to fly.


Here's a detail of the quilting. The quilting in the center was a free-form wave that went very quickly. The border is a wave pattern. I drew the pattern on quilting (tissue) paper to make sure the design fit the space. Then I laid the paper on top and stitched right through it. The stitching perforates the tissue paper, and you can pull it off afterwards. This technique works well where precision is important.

You can also see where I did a little thread-painting on the fish tail.

Whenever I have to do a machine binding, I like to watch this video by Bonnie McCaffrey, just to remind me of the specifics. If I don't, I invariably get something backwards and wind up ripping. She also suggests adding some couched yarn or special threads to embellish the binding edge. So I added some of that yarn I often use to edge postcards.

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

My friend cut out two of those salmon and two of another fish. I have a great appreciation for the time it took to cut that out!