Thursday, April 07, 2011

Sketchbook Challenge : First Steps for Branching Out / Out on a Limb



This is what's up on my design wall at the moment. It's the "draft" version of my next journal quilt. No--it's not technically in my sketchbook, but a design wall can serve a similar (and different) purpose on the road to actualization.

I had started this months ago, even fused some flowers down, but it just didn't work. I guess I was waiting for this perfect prompt from Jane Davies! Already, I like it much better--even with this mixed media version. The branch is an ad torn from a newspaper.

I made the little blue bird last October in a thread-painting workshop with Karla Spinks. He's been looking for a home ever since!

The background and the foreground are hand dyes I did myself. My one requirement for these Journal Quilts is that I use some of my hand dyes.

Stay tuned to see how it develops!

No comments: