Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sketchbook Challenge : Red-Wing Blackbird - Harbinger of Spring


Red-Wing Blackbird
Made with Neocolor II water-soluble crayons


This is the line drawing I started with. I usually do these on a loose piece of paper. When I get it to where I like it, I trace it in pencil, flip it over and burnish the image into my sketchbook. That's why the final piece is in reverse. I've also been gluing the outline drawings into the sketchook near the final piece. That way I have a record of how the piece developed.


This one is BEFORE adding the water to blend the colors.
It's amazing how a little water adds such vibrancy!

History : We have another red-wing blackbird pair nesting in a tree in our back yard.
That means, I'll have to watch my head in the back yard : If we get too close to their tree, they dive-bomb us. Good thing that only lasts for the nesting season!

No comments: