Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pathways : Sketchbook Challenge


My new laptop is an Apple with a non-Windows operating system, which means I can't use Paint.net on it. So I've been playing with some alternative image manipulation software. Today, it's Seaside 3. These started out as pictures of windfall helicopter seeds (Do you realize that every one of those millions of seeds is different? Some have this lovely curve, others are rail straight ... they are like snowflakes in that way.)

Anyway, I wanted to bring out the "pathways" and veining in the wing. I was just playing around and not taking any notes, so I don't think I could recreate these effects deliberately--yet. I'm just getting comfortable with the software.


This one looks like an old etching.


I think I used the Sepia filter on this one. This is my favorite one so far.


This one is one of the original photos where the veining stands out nicely. No special effects needed.


This is one of the first pictures I took of these seeds. The veining shows up pretty well, but the background is way too busy. So that was lesson #1 : Use a neutral background.

No comments: