Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Another Dyeing Day

Melissa at Fabric Dyeing 101 just published a book encapsulating all the great info and color recipes on her blog. You can't beat the price at $2.99 for a digital copy. Go see ...

This weekend, I decided to give Melissa's color recipes for brown and neutrals another go-round.


A few weeks ago, I got this lovely set (above), but I wanted to try for some deeper colors. So this time, I did a few things differently ...

For the base concentrates, I used Scarlet (Red), Sun Yellow and Cerulean Blue (Last time it was Sky Blue). Also, this time, I used twice as much dye per cup. Indeed, the colors are deeper ...


This time, I'm also keeping better records with swatches and mixing recipes.
The fabric is Dharma's economy bleached muslin.


I also did a set of yellow gradations parfait style (meaning I threw all these into the same jar together). I'm not a huge fan of yellow, hence I have very little in my stash. But now I have an idea ...


With the extra dye concentrate, I mixed up some purples that looked really promising in the parfait jar. Unfortunately, most of the darker blue washed down the drain, leaving me with pink.


I suspect these will be thrown into the re-dye pile to lessen the buble-gum effect.

I also used some of the extra brown dye to do some "don't-bother-me" neutrals parfait style :


1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Back in my dyeing days, I used procion dyes from Pro Chem. Wanting to deviate from the suggested base colors and for no particular reason, I chose Pro Chem's golden yellow and strongest red to get some really great browns and rusts. Chino and mustard yellow were great colors too - on their own and mixed with others. My records also show mixing basic red and mustard created a wonderful gradation I called sienna and another I called peaches. Now just which of Dharma's dyes would be the same I could not say. In fact, I don't think there are straight-across equivalents. But that is a big part of the draw of dyeing for me - experimenting to see what mixing this with that is going to give you. And you are right - keeping good records with swatches really helps.