The finished 7-foot Triangle Loom
When I looked at the price to purchase a triangle loom, my jaw hit the floor : $346 and up for walnut or oak. My initial reaction was, "It's a couple of wooden rails and some nails. Why does it cost so much? We can make one ourselves ... " Well, yes, we can, and we did. It took some time and some elbow grease, but the cost of materials was only about $10 for 3 boxes of finish nails and a drill bit. We used wood from Christian's stash : walnut and red oak. Not even sure where he got this wood from anymore, but he decided this was a fine project to use the wood he'd been saving.
We used Wayne's instructions for building a Triangle Loom here. Because he's a guy, it was presented in a way that made sense to my husband who was an integral part of this project. There are some other good pages here and here. In addition, the Triangle Loom Yahoo Group also had plans for building looms, but you have to be a member to see it. Frankly, there are many other pages that better explain how to build one of these looms. This is just some of my notes on the process, not an exact How to ...
The first thing we did was wash the nails. Otherwise, there's a gray something-or-other that comes off on your hands when you handle the nails. We used Dawn dish washing liquid and gave them a good scrub --initially without water. Then rinsed with hot water; dried and polished with paste wax. We needed at minimum 660 nails--that's a lot of nails!
Then I got to do the final sanding ...
You can see how the paste wax brings out the natural beauty of the wood.
In this picture, paste wax was applied to the top rail, but not yet to the bottom rail. What a difference!
My husband worked out a template to mark where the nails needed to go.
Holes drilled and done in all three rails.
A few notes on this stage :
1) The nails we bought were too long. This concerned me, but my husband was sure it wouldn't be a problem. He planned to use a grinder and grind all that excess off of the back side ...
2) We left the blue painter's tape on because we thought we'd have to squeeze some glue on to help secure the nails. The tape would protect the wood from any glue spillage. In actuality, the glue didn't seem to do anything, or maybe not enough actually got into the holes ... It wasn't holding the nails in place. If we had known that ahead of time, we would have removed the painter's tape BEFORE pounding in the nails. It was kind of a picky pain-staking process to remove it in tiny pieces after the fact. Live and learn.
3) Some of the nails seemed "loose." Not sure if that's an irregularity in the manufacturing, or if if the drill was getting dull by this time. Sometimes, I could find a different nail that was snug. Sometimes, not.
Pounding ... Pounding ... Pounding.
Got the iPad there listening to Once Upon a Time poscasts to keep my mind occupied.
Then it was back over to my husband for grinding off the nails that went through the back side (no pictures of this process. I didn't want to see anyone get hurt. Turns out the glue wasn't really holding the nails in place. CL said they were spinning as he was grinding. He wound up having to hold each one in place while he ground off the excess. I guess this is why people pay for someone else to make these looms! In the end, he but a line of electrical tape on the back side to smooth out the nails and the wood. Doesn't bother me much--I'm not looking at or working from the back side.
Once again, here's the finished loom hanging from my design wall.
That's it! Done! Now I can start weaving ... Thanks for staying with me to the end of this post!