Sunday, December 29, 2013

Possibilities : Black, White and 1 Color


Here's how my mind works ... 
On the way "home" to my parents' house for Christmas, we drive through the Menomonee Nation (ie an Indian Reservation).  I fondly consider this ride, the fabled "over the river and through the wood, to grandmother's house we go."  I LOVE riding through the "Rez," because it's all trees.  My Cathedral with vaulted ceilings over the roadway.    The Menomonees are known the world over for their excellent forestry conservation practices.  They have a big lumber processing mill in Keshena,  WI, but they take such good care of the woods, you'd never know they were harvesting.   Clear-cutting is not something they do.   [It should be noted, there is one spot on the ride that looks like it was clear cut--very out of place for the rest of the Reservation ride.  A few years ago, there was a summer storm with such strong straight-line winds, that it broke everything off at a certain height--a big swatch through the woods essentially clear cut by Mother Nature herself.  It's starting to grow back now.]

The day we drove north was gray-gray-gray, and washed out.  With the fog, salt, and other schmutz on the window (no need to add texture to these!), the addition of the yellow road signs and the highway stripe were the only bits of color to these otherwise black and white images.  That caught my eye.  Chalk this up to an Everyday Inspiration.

After a year-and-a-half sabbatical from quilting, I'm finally starting to feel inspired again.  I'm really looking forward to Quilt Camp in March, thinking about possible projects to get ready.  Here's an idea ...

From the HeartStrings Project website.

A few days after our winter drive through the Reservation, I came across the Heartstrings website where they've been doing a black white and one color challenge.  I really like how these are turning out.  I don't think I'll do yellow, but it did serve as inspiration.   

Although the Heart Strings Black & White Project is over, it was announced here.  
See more black and white heart string quilts here and here and here and here

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Love it! How striking that sign and the road stripes are against the black and white of winter. It's even giving ME ideas!