Sunday, January 17, 2016

Gelli Printing to Fabric : Class with Toni Bergeon


Gelli Printing to Fabric
I took a second class with Toni Bergeon last week at Piece-by-Piece Quilt Shop in Appleton, WI.
The lady next to me had a wonderful wooden bird chop  that must have been designed for batiks.  She was kind enough to let others use it.  It was a hit!  This is probably my favorite print from the day. 

Although I dabbled with gelatin printing last summer on cardstock, it never occurred to me to gelli print to fabric. 

It took a little while to get used to the mediums (as always)--fabric vs. paper ; textile paints vs regular acrylic craft paint ; and how much paint to use on the plate.  And then of course mixing colors : What looks good together, where on the plate, what order, and how NOT to make mud.

I will say the official Gelli Plates are more durable than my DIY gelatine plate.  I do like the fact that my own plate is bigger.

Here are some of my favorite prints from the workshop :



 Here I was starting to layer prints on the same piece.   



 More layering.


I definitely want to play more with this technique - on both paper and fabric!

Nothing like a class to inspire!

No comments: