Monday, February 22, 2016

Broomstick Lace


I've been working on this lacy scarf.   It's crocheted, but you do use a giant knitting needle to make the open holes for the lace.

 I ran across this video to learn how to do it.  As well as this tutorial to deal with the curling issue (basically, she suggests adding one more row of single crochets to stabilize the series).

It's only 30 stitches for one row, so it didn't take long ...  Still this little scarf took me about 2 months to make, as I'd do 1 or 2 rows every week or so.  It seemed to help if the yarn sat on the knitting needle for at least a day to help shape it before going on to the next row.

I'd like to make more, but I'm having trouble locating some of these luscious variegated yarns at the local craft stores.  They are all stocked for baby pinks and blues --- Eeesh!





 The button is attached "shank-style" and then pushed through one of the lace holes.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for sending, Vicki. What a beautiful and unique pattern (AND scarf).

Patience is a virtue and well worth it. Congratulations, Michele.
Judy Gulliver

The Idaho Beauty said...

Broom stick lace - oh my. Haven't heard that term in years. Never tried it although I know it to be very easy. I'm really liking these shorter scarf patterns that have that button closure. Knit one for a friend for Christmas and just about didn't let it go it was so perfect. Yours looks like it would fend off the coldest Wisconsin winter chill - just beautiful and love the colors. Blame Pantone for the influx of blue and pink. Their colors of the year for 2016 has made more than one of us blanch. Many are taken back to the 80's I believe and not fondly but I remember that particular blue and pink being from the 50's - my parent's bedroom was done up in those colors and soon after I inherited the room when dad added on to the house. When I got a bit older, I was given permission to redo and chose a lovely lavender. Wonderful to run that paint roller over the pink and blue floral wallpaper! Me thinks you need to find a "real" yarn shop. ;-)