Sunday, June 24, 2018

Light & Shadows : Cathedral Window Stained Glass Wall Quilt

Detail of the Cathedral Window Quilt.
Light and Shadows.


This Cathedral Windows Stained Glass wall quilt is now finished.   

I used an old poly batting with fusible on it.  It must have turned to dust through the years, because it didn't seem to fuse anymore, and it was kind of dusty to work with.  Why do batts and fusible always bother my lungs?  It's back to my favorite Hobbs 80/20 batting next time, where the cotton just magically sticks to it, without fusible.



Instead of the usual binding, I did a facing instead -- explained here.    It worked very well for this type of quilt.  Never mind my hand stitching which has always been suspect ...

I was originally thinking about attaching it to a canvas -- stretching it, not quilting it.  And I still might do that.  I have a 36 in x 36 in canvas in stock.  I'd have to attach the quilt to a larger background fabric (black) and then stretch that around the canvas.


Detail of the quilting from the backside.   As I said before, I just outlined the stencil effect of the black edges next to the light bits.  This is the view from the back, where you can see the overall pattern better. 


I used a multicolored thread to stitch the edges of the black next to the colored "light" bits.   It looks better in person -- The thread isn't showing up so well in this photo.

I did wind up quilting it, using a polyester batting.  I knew it would not be washed as the raw edge applique might not fare well in that process.    The polyester soon puffed up through the "light" spaces.

Here's what that "light" fabric looked like before the shadow stencil was applied.  
Pretty wild!

 Here's the official quilt label, which is attached, but not sewn on yet.
I spent the day working up 5 quilt labels for the latest batch of projects. 
Not my favorite part of quilting, but it does signify that a project is well and truly finished!

2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Well, that's one beautiful way to calm down such a wild fabric! This has turned out so well. Stretched over a canvas frame or not, this is so lovely.

Mellowood Gallery said...

This is just WOW. Great job Michele