Saturday, June 16, 2018

Rag Rugs on the Loom


These are some of the latest rag rugs still on the loom.  This one is more of the merino wool strips from Pendleton Woolen Mill.  These are so nice!  I'll definitely be making more of these!


This one uses the $1-per-pound wooly worms, cut off salvedges from Pendlteon Woolen Mill.  I died this batch Cerulean Blue to better tie the disparate colors together, and to spruce up the grays.  Not sure I like working with the wooly worms -- there's a lot of dust with these.   At first, I did not sew the ends together, but it was taking too long to weave to futz with properly joining the ends in the actual weaving.  So in the end, I finally just sewed the ends together randomly.  The weaving went much faster then.  I do like the randome-ness and the nubby bits -- that are still soft.


I really like the way this one is shaping up, and how the colors are coming together.  It looks very ocean-y or sea-side-y.    It reminds me of this image from the seasside just under the Skye Bridge in Scotland :
  Isle of Skye, Scotland -- The seaside, near the Skye Bridge.
Anytime I can work Scotland into a post is a good day!

And finally, a denim rug, using the 1-1/2-inch strips from Rugs in the Woods.
It's shaping up nicely! 

2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

YOU are having TOO much fun - lol! I really like how the dyeing of that one set of strips worked. They will all be beautiful rugs.

Mellowood Gallery said...

These are looking very good Michele. I agree that the one is starting to look like a sea-side picture - such a lot of work!