Friday, June 29, 2018

Pretty Colors along with Simple Innovations and Improvements to the Warping Mill

Warp for the No-Hassle Scarves

Yes-- It's true!  I've almost used up the 10-yard warp I ran just a few weeks ago on rugs.  1 more rug to go with the remaining warp, but I'm waiting for an electric fabric cutting machine so I can strip up some more rags from cotton sheeting.  Plenty of room for a longer warp, too--meaning this loom can handle a warp longer than 10 yards.

No Hassle Rayon Slub Scarves 
(Photo from Yarn Barn of Kansas)

Meanwhile, I am ready to run another warp for a no hassle rayon slub scarves kit from Yarn Barn of Kansas.  It calls for a 5.5 yard warp that will make 2 long-ish scarves.  Someone on one of the 4-shaft or rug weaving or weaving hacks FaceBook groups said he added a little counter to his warping board / mill to help keep track of how many ends he'd run.  Brilliant! [Innovation #1]


So I told my husband, and he found a simple counting app for my phone, and also engineered a simple little holder for my phone at the top of the mill.  [Innovation #2]  Every time I'm at the top of the mill, I can easily touch the screen to register a new line or two. 

I realize I'll still have to double check the number of ends before I'm done, but it will help keep me on track.



Additional Improvement :  Since this warp calls for a 1/2-yard increment, I asked my husband to drill 2 more holes in the bottom braces of the mill, so I can flip the pegs from one side to the other, allowing me to run the needed length of warp -- no more, no less. [You can't really tell from the photo that this bottom peg is on the opposite side of the box mill from the top, allowing me to save a yard on the warp.]

I'll say it gain-- I LOVE this warping mill.  Thank you Dear Hubby!  It makes what used to be a miserable and frustrating task a breeze!  The time goes so fast, and the tension stays relatively even throughout the warp.  This one is only 152 ends in total.


And because this warp is so pretty, here are a few more photos of it on the mill, where it will stay until I'm ready to warp the loom.  




The pink string is the visible guide so I knew what track to follow around the mill.  It's not actually part of the warp. 

2 comments:

Mellowood Gallery said...

Wow, it sounds complicated to me but then I am not a weaver - lol. Nice adjustments to make things easier, - ain't it handy having a handy husband? Have a great day Michele.

Anonymous said...

Neat Can't wait to see the finished projects.
--Joann Drake