Saturday, August 31, 2019

Autumn Splendor Confetti Quilting

 Autumn Splendor

“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” 
― L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables.


Here it is at a distance (figuratively speaking), which helps it all come together in the mind's eye.  I've been looking at it up close and personal for too long, so I appreciate the perspective.

This one has been many years in the hopper.  I started it at the October Quilt Camp back in 2011, with scraps from the Red Curry Quilt Top (also yet to be finished).


The view out the window that year was very similar to this.  I don't think I took a photo myself.   Did I?  However, I used an inspiration photo from Sue Bleweiss (Used by permission).  It was a young-ish tree in full color, and much shorter than the larger trees around it.  Or maybe it was just a splendid branch?

Chaos!

The basic technique is to drop bits and scraps on a background fabric, layer it over with tulle, pin it all together, then sew the heck out of it.  I used a layer of batting underneath as stabilizer.

Here it is from the back.  Lots of free motion stitching / embroidery to add texture, color, 
and stability.

I kept going back to add more stitching on the under story so that it would recede more.  Kind of neat how it all just blends together, like pointillism.  Remember the old tv sets that were millions of tiny dots of color?


Then the tree trunks seemed to get lost, so I added some trunk-y yarns to add texture and contrast to help them stand out more.



Today, I decided enough was enough.  Time to add some borders and call it almost done.  I still need to add the backing and binding. But much closer than before!


Sometimes, you just need to get some distance (time and space) from a project to start liking it again.  Sometimes, that's what it takes for a project to come together as a whole--after you've been caught in the details for so long.

No comments: