Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Handmade Christmas : Amish Folded Star Quilted Hotpad / Potholder




At Quilt Camp this year, I made a series of these Amish Folded Stars.
These will probably be Christmas presents for people this year.




This is a really nicely-paced tutorial from Crouton Crafts explaining how to make these gorgeous stars step-by-step.  Also see his similar but slightly different blog post about it.  I love that he appears to be using an Singer Featherweight to do the stitching.

The technique is very similar to the Iris Folding I did years ago after a class at the Fox Valley Tech. 

There are some other variations to how you can set up the stars.  The Gentleman Crafter has another version here.


Here are some of the "fabric kits" I worked up to take to Quilt Camp.  All leftovers from past projects:



Some tips:
Work in batches.
1) Do all your cutting in one batch.
2) Get your foundations cut and marked.  Eventually, I figured out to make a template out of freezer paper with the markings on it.  Then I could easily trace the markings through the foundation fabric without having to think too hard about the correct markings on the ruler.
3) Fold and press all the pieces for one layer in half.  Then let them cool before you start folding the triangles/prairie points.
4) Starch is your friend.  Have a spray bottle of Quilter's Moonshine on hand.
5) Do 1 set of 4 triangles and place them on the foundation.  Stitch them down.  Then do the 2nd set, and sew them down.
6) Make some continuous binding strips.  I tried to use some leftover regular binding, and it just wouldn't give on the curves.  For instructions on how, see the Fons & Porter video below ...

I found this was a relaxing thing to do in the evenings after I got home from work.  Usually, I make mistakes if I quilt in the evenings, so I don't usually do it.  But this is more of a meditation, folding, pressing and stitching, as you watch the colors build around the star.

Very satisfying!

Here are the other ones I made:

 

  
  

 

 





Here's a video explaining how to make continuous bias binding from Fons & Porter:

No comments: