Monday, March 16, 2020

Pretty Blue-Green Ostara Eggs



My Pinterest feed has been littered with naturally dyed easter eggs.    And this year, people are getting some very nice blues ...  I was intrigued and wanted to try it with red cabbage.  My first thought was "No way!"  Who knew you could get gorgeous blue-green eggs from rad cabbage?  Really?  Yes-- It's true!


The color changes from blue to green, depending on the light and time of day.  It's pretty neat!




Red Cabbage (Technique explained here.)
I chopped up half a red cabbage and boiled it for about 90 minutes.  I could clearly see the purple color leach out of the cabbage and into the water.  I strained out the plant fiber, reserving the dye water.  Added about 2/3 cup of white vinegar. and plopped my boiled eggs.    And let them sit overnight in the fridge.  I know from experience that the blues are the last color to strike when it comes to food coloring.  And the extra vinegar helps.  What a delight to find this lovely blue in the morning!

And because they are temporary (meaning: we're going to eat them), I feel the need to document the the colors and textures on these lovely blue eggs, so here are the individual portraits of my Red Cabbage dyed Ostara eggs.  So here they are:
































 

No comments: