Saturday, June 06, 2020

DIY Dandelion Salve


Dandelion Salve

Instead of being annoyed by the dandelions in the yard this year, I decided I would pick them to make a dandelion salve for a healing balm.  Funny how they completely transform into cheery little yellow flowers when you find a use for them!  Thank you, Dandelions!

As I was picking them, I was reminded of a conversation with Christian's cousin in France, Delphine.  She's a physician, so she has a healthy respect for healing herbs and medicinals.  We were walking through a farm field  / pasture in the French countryside talking about the healing properties of dandelions, or "pee-pee-o-lis" (pee-the-bed flower as it's known in France) for it's diuretic properties.  [Sigh!  We were planning a trip to France to see the family later this year, but the Pandemic threw a wrench into that plan.]


I used this Dandelion Salve recipe from Grow - Forage - Cook - Ferment.      It starts by picking the yellow dandelion heads, and letting them wilt for a day.  I laid mine out on a screen in the porch.


Then you put them in a jar, and cover them with oil (I used a mix of Olive Oil and Safflower Oil, because that's what I had on hand).  They sit for a week (or so) to let the medicinal properties infuse into the oil.   Then you strain out the solids, and use the infused oil as one of the main ingredients.

1 cup Dandelion Infused Oil
2 Tsp. beeswax
2 Tsp Coconut Oil (I don't really like shea butter or the smell of it, so I substituted coconut oil)

I did not add any essential oils, though I love the idea of sweet orange oil. ;-)

You simply heat the oils until they are melted together, then pour into your final pots, or jars. 
I used a shorty Mason jar with a re-used Penzy's spice jar for the overflow. 

Now I have some dandelion salve!

What is it good for?
Grow-Forage-Cook-Ferment says, "Dandelion flowers have pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties, so this salve is good for all kinds of aches and pains.  [This may be dependent on the essential oils you add].  It is particularly good for sore and tired muscles and joints...  [It] is also soothing and moisturizing for dry, cracked, and itchy skin. It would also work well as a lip balm for chapped lips."


No comments: