Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Farmer's Wife Quilt: Next Steps


Farmer's Wife Blocks (with sashing and cornerstones) on the Design Wall

I still have a number of blocks left over that I need to fit in ... 1 more row on the vertical and the horizontal.  Trouble is, it's sort of the "dog" blocks that are left.  I hate to put them all in a row.  Better to hide them here and there throughout the quilt ---  Or leave them out altogether.  That would not be the end of the world!

I've been working the last couple of weekends to add the sashing and cornerstones.  And now corner triangles to off-set the blocks being set en point. I picked a lovely teal-ish Stonehenge for those edges.

It seems like I've been putting in multiple hours, but not making any visible progress -- as in, I can't start sewing the blocks together yet to make the quilt top whole ---  Soon, I'll be able to start that stage ...  It's been so hot, that I can't work for long in my sewing room.  Just having the iron on to press seams is too much.  This is never a problem in the winter time. 

 

As mentioned earlier, there were a number of blocks that needed some additional work because they came out too small--for whatever reason.  So today, I added some borders to make up the difference for those "dog" blocks.  And worked them into the design wall.  I like them better now that they are the proper size.  And they don't look so out of place in the overall quilt.  


I love how this one turned out with the extra borders.

I removed the labels on the back of each block as I was adding the sashing and cornerstones, so I'm not exactly sure which blocks these are now ...  And I didn't want to take the time to look it up.

 

 

I tried to match the colors and general spirit of the block, so that it didn't feel too different from the originals.

 

This star will anchor on of the corners.


 

I was never a big fan of this one, and even considered re-doing it.  It felt like it came out too dark, not enough contrast.  But the lighter border helps.

I think now I can finally start sewing the blocks together in rows. 

Then it will feel like I'm making progress!

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Massive massive project, busy busy quilt! Those additions to the dog blocks really do help them look better. Ohh, too hot to sew - I've lived places without air-conditioning so know the problem. Just no fun.