Monday, June 28, 2021

What Becomes of a Quilter's Stash?

 Blue Jay Block by Holly

Not quite finished.  Ths was part of a larger project with multiple blocks.  Most of them still need the applique stitched down.    This one is more the way I remember her quilting ...

I know I saw this pattern somewhere in her sewing room.

I know I was waiting for her to finish this one a few years ago, wanting to see the finished product.

 

Here's another one that still needs the stitching.

What happens to a quilter's stash after they die?    

Slow but steady progress sorting and clearing out things in my mom's sewing room.  She's been gone over a year now ...  Because of the pandemic, I haven't been back to see my dad much, but now that we're both fully vaccinated, I don't have that worry.


Holly Fabrics

Of the fabric, there is far more there than I can use in my own lifetime, so I have to be selective about what I take back home with me.  The Holly fabrics.  She often bought fabric with holly in the design-- Her name was Holly, and she was born on Christmas Day, so I'm keeping those ...  And the batiks: I will keep the batiks because I am more likely to use them. 

So far, I put labels on the drawers to remind me of what's in it: Scissors, rulers, thread ...

I brought back a stack of bins with fabric to give away--It's only the beginning.  I'd like to invite her quilting buddies in to take what they want, but I have to figure out the logistics of that, as Dad doesn't want anyone in the house.   

There are some unfinished projects ---  embroidery blocks mostly, though not as many projects as I would have expected.  I think she may have been better about starting and finishing projects than me.   Even when she was working, she had dedicated time every week in classes to quilt.   I know she gave away many quilts, though I'm not sure she photographed her quilts?  So I may showcase some of her stuff in coming months ...

I did find this quilt top.  I remember her working on it, and getting tired of it, so she abandoned it -- Smokey River (?) with Stonehenge Fabrics.  I will finish this one, but I am not feeling obligated to finish all her WIPs.  I am perfectly ok leaving them to someone else who will finish them.

There's a stack of the finished wall hangings.  Some things, I want Dad to keep, as I expect to see them at certain times of the year when I visit.  Things NOT to give away.

A few reference books for quilting and sewing, we'll keep.  The Quiltmaker's Gift storybook stays.  Embroidery in 6 easy lessons ... 

Certain things are notably missing, though.  Like her Brother Dream embroidery machine.  Did she take it in for repairs before her health went downhill, and never got back to pick it up?  (No record of that.)  Did she loan it to someone?  The foot pedal is still there -- along with the manual and the hoops, feet and other accessories.  If she sold it off, that stuff would have gone with it, right?  

Does anyone know what happened to this sewing machine?

I did finally find her thumb drives that had all her embroidery designs, so I might be able to finish that Feathered Star quilt-- if I can locate the Brother Dream Machine. ????  Perhaps I'll have to put together the blocks she did get done.  It would be fitting to leave the not-done blocks as blank squares.

Donations to

  • The Oshkosh Quilt Guild - Lynn Mozingo heads that department.  She found her calling in retirement.  She and her helpers will use the fabric to make charity quilts for people in ICUs, nursing homes, Project Linus (quilts for kids), receiving blankets for new babies, hats for cancer patients ...    It makes me feel good that the fabric will get used.  I'm happy some of them will go to hospital patients, since she was a nurse. 
  • Sr Francis of the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother 
  • Marla's charity quilt group

No comments: