Saturday, December 03, 2022

Intrigued by Lofty Fiber's Tempo Treadle System

Someone in one of my Weaving FB Groups posted that they just got a Tempo Treadle System from Lofty Fiber in SC.  It's a simple computer unit that helps you keep track of complicated treadle sequences, but also uses magnets and an ribbon array that knows if you push the wrong treadle in the sequence.

So far, my simple treadle beads are working very well for me, but I am moving into more complicated weaving patterns where I don't have enough room across the top of my loom to string all the beads I would need for a given treadle sequence.

The Tempo Treadle unit costs about $300, and I don't see my particular loom listed as one that they support.  So I asked them the question ...  They may be able to custom-make an array that will work for my particular loom.  Due to the current microchip shortage, they are about 3 months behind in filling orders.  I'm in no hurry ...

I'm trying to decide if this is really worth it, or just some fad?  I don't want another Fabric Mover situation (Ugh!  Years ago, when I was learning to free-motion quilt, I spent $1200 for a trendy faddy tool that really did not work very well, and could not resell either.  That was a hard lesson.)

People say that it's very helpful for keeping track of treadling sequences -- and it also alerts you when you pick the wrong one. So you can fix it right away, and not have to un-weave 5 inches after you realize you missed a line.

Apparently, if you have more than one loom, you can use the same box, but would need separate ribbon arrays and magnets for each loom.  I only have 1 loom now, but it's nice to know that it's re-usable.

Here is some info about Tempo Treadle (Mostly here to explain it to my husband--Hello, Sweetie!):

 

Weaving with Tempo Treadle Overview (by Lofty Fiber) from 2016

 


 Weaving with Tempo Treadle How To: Harrisville Designs Loom Setup - Lofty Fiber from 2017

 


 Tempo Treadle Placing Magnets - Lofty Fiber from 2017


Here's what people are saying about it:

Getting Acquainted with Tempo Treadle - Iowa Weaver 

Innovations in Weaving - Tempo Treadle - Barb E Designs

Keeping Track - Weaverly Blog

 

I'm still trying to decide if this would be worth it for me on a 4-shaft floor loom.   Most people seem to be using it on more complicated 8-24 shaft looms.  I'll wait to hear back from them about whether or not they 'd be able to outfit my loom with a Tempo Treadle. 

I checked Ravelry, too, and most people were quite happy with their Tempo Treadle system.  That said, I found a video for setting up voice-activated commands in iWeaveIt to advance the treadle sequence rather than having to tap the screen each time.

 

 

No comments: