Monday, April 17, 2023

Making Ink: Avocado Pit Ink

 

Prussian Blue and Avocado Pitt Inks on watercolor paper.


Wondering how to make Avocado Pitt Ink? 

It was much easier than I thought it would be!

With a nod to Jason Logan, The "Make Ink Guy" in Toronto, the recipe comes from a handout he provided for one of his workshops.  I also have his book -- which I highly recommend!


2 large Avocado Pits simmering for 20 minutes in  1 cup water plus 1 tsp soda ash (same as for Procion dye jobs).
 
I never expected such rich color from something so unassuming as avocado pits!

Spent Avocado Pits strained from the ink.
 
They look like beats! 
Residue left in the pan.
 
Avocado Pit Ink
 
 
Prussian Blue (left) and Avocado Pit Ink (right)
 
Empty Penzy spice jars are perfect for inks!I added 1/2 tsp gum arabic as a binder 
and 3 drops thyme oil for preservative.
  
 

  Ink blots on a clean library catalog card.
 
An interesting initial test, but it's calling out for a little sparkle on the edges.
Maybe some copper?
 
 Avocado mixed with Prussian Blue.

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I think using avocados to make "dye" is a thing right now. In my handmade book club, people have been posting books with covers made from paper eco-dyed (their term) with avocados. Whether this is using the pits or skins I don't know. I remember too when I was researching natural dyeing on fabric that people were using avocado to get this interesting reddish brown color. And using bluing to make ink? Well, who woulda thunk?