Sunday, May 28, 2023

Fancifications Part 2: Red Sun-King Trim on a Black Coat


While I was fancifying a pair of jeans and my winter coat yesterday, I decided to dig into my stash and pull out an old roll of beautiful red silk ribbon trim.  I bought this more than 15 years ago when we were visiting family and friends in Toulouse, France, at La Drogerie.  It's called The Pharmacy, but it's not a drug store.  It sells fancy trims like this and other expensive embellishments ... It could be very addictive!   This was a very expensive bit of ribbon (I think it was $30/yard back then), and I've been saving it for something special ...  

The wait is over!

Yesterday at Goodwill, I found a black (Read: Empty palette for anything I want to do to gussy it up), mostly wool jacket that actually fit me for a whopping $8.  It's unusual to find decent wool items in the thrift stores these days, and even rarer to find something that actually fits.

I had enough silk ribbon to outline the zipper opening on both sides, along with the hood.  There was a little left over, so I also did the cuff of the left sleeve.  There wasn't quite enough to do both sleeves, but I may still use the remaining scrap to embellish the right pocket.



I am really happy with the way it turned out.

It makes me sad that summer is here, and I won't be able to wear this until sometime next fall.  

 

I also got this velvet hat, made by a company in Milwaukee.  It's a lot like the "house-is-cold" wool hat I wear most of the winter.  This one can be for warmer weather.  I paid $2 at Goodwill.  I do love a bargain!  It means I can spend more of things like pretty silk ribbon!

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a bargain hunter! And who would think to gussy up a coat that cost you so little with that very expensive French ribbon - it looks great and the asymmetry due to shortage of ribbon is not a bad thing but makes it look more designer in nature. Good catch!