Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Making Ink: Beet Root Ink

Beet Root Ink




 

I made a batch of beet root ink a few months ago, but neglected to take good photos of the experiments.  It's not an ink that keeps very well, so I had to wait until we had beets again to eat. 

I worked up 4 versions, and the best one was the unadulterated cold from the fridge version of beet juice left over from boiling some beets to eat a week ago.

For the others, I reduced the juice to concentrate the pigments, then split them into 3 little jars.

  1. plain, just reduced
  2. with a pinch of steel wool from an SOS cleaning pad (minus the soap)
  3. with alum


The only one that made any marks on paper worth keeping was the straight up beet juice, still cold from the fridge.  I know from experience that the beet root ink doesn't keep very long or well.  So you have to use when you have it.


Beet Root ink with a little metallic watercolor on a library index card.

It makes a nice wash for backgrounds.

 


 

 By the time I made this sample, I was mixing all the inks on trial that day.  So this one includes not only beet root ink, but also Hibiscus and Mulberry ink, along with a little metallic watercolor.

As a side note: I just started a batch of Kvass, a fermented dink from Ukraine, made from beets, lemon, orange, ginger, salt and tumeric.  It's looks gorgeous in the jar! We'll see how it tastes in a few weeks ...  It's very salty right now, but that should be part of the pickling process.

No comments: