Sunday, July 09, 2023

Raspberry Coverlet in a Simplified Whig Rose


Raspberry Coverlet


Yes--another coverlet!  Apparently, I was the only one to bid on this one on eBay.  A very reasonable price at $50.   I was perfectly prepared to be outbid on this one, but I got it!


What is the pattern?  I poured through my coverlet pattern books trying to identify the pattern, but I never came up with an exact match.  From a distance, it looks like a basic grid where the squares and lines dominate. 

 

When you move in a little closer, I can see inter-twining rings -- almost like a simplified Whig Rose pattern -- That's also apparent in the 4 roses and diamond motif in the corners [highlighted in the draft above], but it lacks the larger roses.

The reverse side, with pink roses. 

Even though it's all squares, you still get a feel for octagons and circles in the overall pattern. 

 

Whig Rose draft - p.120 of Carol Strickler's American Woven Coverlets.

 

 

 

It was a little musty smelling, so I let it air out in the sunlight and open air this afternoon.  That made a big difference!

I also noticed that it looks like the reds ran and made it pink.  You can tell by looking at the fringe / tassels at the corner where some of the warp strings are still white.   It's ok-- I still like it.

For Documentation's sake, here is the seller's listing:






antique vintage woven wool over shot coverlet bedspread pink & red

Item specifics

Condition: Pre-owned
Seller Notes  “very good”
Brand: Unbranded
Type: Bedspread
Size: Standard
Color: pink and red
Style: Antique
Set Includes: Coverlet
Material: Wool
Production Technique: woven

Item Description by Seller:

Here is an antique or vintage woven wool overshot coverlet.

In very good antique vintage condition.  No rips or holes.   Looks clean.  Please see all photos for condition and other details.

Reverse colors on each side as shown.

Measures about 80" x 64"
Ships from Trumbull, CT.

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a beauty and such an unusual color. Thus the bleeding of red to turn the what areas pink makes so much sense. I wouldn't mind either . . .