Tuesday, January 01, 2008

(More) Notebook Covers

I finally worked out a pattern for a notebook cover to my own liking. This entry is more about the experimenting on the way there ... If you want to see more about the actual pattern, click here.


The orange one is okay. I like the colors (and so did my husband who claimed it.) The batting is a little too thick. It's not quilted at all. The 'welt" for turning the outside in landed smack in the middle of the inside.



(This piece is actually square, even though it doesn't appear to be square in this photo.)

The purple and green one was an experiment in making my own fabric using the cut-off ends of fabric when squaring up for rotary cutting. The Wanda Hanson at Exuberant Color had the idea of laying these cast off strips out on a fusible batting, ironing them down, and stitching. Nice idea! The quilting made the batting not so puffy.

I got the turning idea from an Amish potholder purchased in Lancaster County, PA. No binding makes these quicker than a fancy edge finish. My satin stitching doesn't come out as nice as Sue Bleiweiss's work ... so I needed to come up with an alternative.

For the green and purple one, I moved the turning welt to be behind the notebook. That worked ok, but now I'm thinking about possibly making the turning welt run horizontally to make a wider pocket for the notebook cardboard ... Always thinking of ways to improve ...

No comments: