Saturday, January 12, 2008
Progress on the Bonfire Block
I finally did the thread painting on the FIRE. This technique uses "flames" of sheers laid atop a base fabric. Then it's topped with netting or tulle. In this case I used black tulle. Even though it's sheer, it gives a smoky look to the flames.
It's interesting to see how different colors of tulle bring out different colors in what's underneath ... It would be worth experimenting with. I even purchased some gold tulle, but the black had already been placed. And when I tried to remove it to audition the gold, all my perfectly placed flames came with it. So I kept the black ...
For the thread painting, I "rolled-my-own" varigated embroidery thread. In this case, red, orange and yellow reflect the hot colors of fire. Once the tulle is stitched down, everything holds together nicely. It's a relatively hassle-free way to applique. I like to back these kinds of applique pieces with black fabric. When I cut it out, I leave a little of the black at the edges (1/8 inch, or so) This helps to set it off on the background.
I also chose the background fabrics. The next step is to applique the fire and wood onto the background with invisible thread.
These original pieces always take 3 times as long as I think they should. There's no picture on the pattern to follow. It just takes a while longer to get it from my head, to the fabric ... As Marilyn F. says, things have to simmer a while ...