Saturday, January 26, 2008

Packages Delivered Today!

Half the fun of starting a new class or project is gathering the supplies. Usually, I have some of what I need in my stash. The rest requires me to go shopping! I love the fact that I can get just about anything by ordering over the internet!



Here's most of the stuff for the Mixed Media Class at Joggles : DynaFlo paints, walnut inks, soy silk, Angelina film, Glimmer Mist .... I'm still missing a few things and may have to put in yet another order for the elusive Mulberry Bark. Now I'll be able to start the first projects!

January has become a time to plan out some of the projects I want to work on the rest of the year. Dying, fabric painting, mixed media ... I tend to buy a stock of supplies in January and work off of it the rest of the year ...



I've even started a spreadsheet to track my inventories. I hope this will keep me from buying duplicates of what I already have. This is a great help when I go to shows or shops. For example, I really don't need a 3rd spool of Sulky Blendables Cider--even though it looks so nice on the rack. I can check the list and find out--oh yeah, I've already got some. Finding it in the sewing room may be another story, however ...

I'm a librarian by day, so you'd think that the skills I've learned to organize books, journals and webstuff would translate ... I suppose someone has done it (Harriet Hargrave and other shop keepers), but I've concluded if I kept everything organized at home, I wouldn't have time to sew and create. A little chaos is good (at least that's my excuse).

This spreadsheet also helps me to keep track of where I bought what--in case I need to get more later. You can see I have tabs for Thread, Paints, Embellishments, Dyes, Soap Supplies, Tools (Rulers). It's easy enough to add more as my interests and supplies expand.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

The spreadsheet is a great idea but I'm not sure I have enough space on my hard drive for the spreadsheet it would take to inventory my stuff! LOL!

Michele Matucheski said...

Funny! Sounds like you have enough stuff to open your very own shop : A well-stocked studio that would be a dream for most of us! You seem to do a much better job of tracking your purchases accounting-style. Maybe you could work inventory into your existing records? Then again, after all that record-keeping, does it leave enough time to sew and create? Hope you had a productive weekend!