Saturday, February 09, 2008

Pattern Tissue Fabric Finishes / Sealants



After making the Pattern Tissue Paper Journal for The Mixed Media Class at Joggles, I was interested in testing out various finishes, or sealants, to protect the surface. I was interested not only in the final appearance, but also the FEEL of the finished surface. Here are the results of my experiments.

Remember, these reflect my own personal preferences with the sealants I had available and the surface I was sealing. Others may arrive at different conclusions. Don't take my word for it--try these experiments yourself.

The sample on the left is the plain vanilla pattern tissue fabric covered with 2 coats each of 4 different finishes. From the top down :
L- 1) Gel Medium - Seems the most "natural" in that it seems most like the tissue paper fabric. Doesn't seem like it has a finish at all.
L-2) Decoupage - a little glossier - I think this is my favorite finish for the plain tissue paper fabric.
L-3) Clear Varnish - Stinky to apply. Glossy finish.
L-4) PVA Glue (Norbond book repair adhesive, flexible glue) - Good gloss, remains flexible. Can also be sewn through.

The sample on the right is the pattern tissue fabric backed with a wool base and covered with a gold sparkly tulle. The same 2 coats of finishes/sealants from the top down :
R-1) Gel Medium - Elimanated the sparkle from the tulle as it seemed to fill in the holes and "erase" the scratchy netting. Dull finish. Not my favorite finish.
R-2) Decoupage - a little glossier. a 3rd coat may cover the tulle texture. Goes on purple, but dries clear.
R-3) Clear Varnish - too shiny and too stinky to apply.
R-4) PVA Glue - more of a matte finish. A nice middle ground between shiny and matte finish. Fabric remains flexible. This is my favorite sealant when covering tulle.

No comments: