Sunday, March 16, 2008

Free-Motion Quilting with Joanie Z. Poole

2 days of live classes and demos, vendors, and Quilts, Quilts, Quilts at the Fox Valley Tech's Sewing Expo.

The Friday Class :
Diane Gaudynski (the Free-Motion Goddess) was not able to attend due to a family emergency. (Our thoughts are with you, Diane!) Joanie Zeier Poole filled in. JZP was very knowledgeable and did a nice job with only 48 hours notice. She has 2 books (1 on patterns; 1 on design) out, and a 3rd (on navigation) due out next fall.

She brought some fantastic heirloom quilts!

Joannie Z. Poole has a degree is graphic design. She has discovered that she loves designing and teaching. She gave some really good advice on a number of topics.

On Batting :
The Hobbs people gave her some sample squares of Hobbs Heirloom Wool Batting to share with us. She uses this wool batting and gets a wonderful Trapunto-like puff with the wool batts without adding an additional layer of poly batting.

I realized I could have brought my batting samples to continue work on the many sample squares yet to go ...

She also said we could buy directly from Hobbs for wholesale prices. They require a minimum order of $100--That seems more than reasonable! I used to be able to get Hobbs 80/20 cotton/poly batts from JoAnne's, but they don't seem to carry them anymore. I've really been wanting to FEEL the new silk batt from Hobbs before I go ahead and order one. Perhaps in Chicago, I'll be able to touch one ... I'll have to look into the buy direct option.

Joanie spent most of the morning lecturing and showing us beautiful samples of her work. She really is an artist! We really didn't get to much hands-on free-motion quilting until the afternoon. She had a lot to say about grids and how to mark them, and navigate the stitching of the basic grid.


Then the task was to mark every other square and stipple to make a checkered grid. I have discovered that I really don't care to stipple (much less micro-stipple). It takes too long to cover too little space. I get tired physically and bored mentally doing the background stippling. It makes me much more interested in DiJanne Cevaal's 72 Ways Not to Meander or Stipple. Then I started to play with other patterns ...

Here, I used a light green thread on a deep purple. The backing fabric is a light purple. The light green seems to look better on the back (pictured).



When I got to practicing the feather plume, I switched to an olive green Aurafil thread. This looks much better on the deep purple, and not so good on the lilac backing fabric. I guess that was part of the lesson--thread colors and the difference it makes, without matching thread colors too closely to the fabric, or contrasting so much that all my mistakes appear.

No comments: