Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Joys of Online Quilting/Mixed Media Classes

Benefits

  • Much wider range of options and topics than would be available locally with live teachers
  • Classmates from around the world
  • You don't have to pack up a trunk-load of supplies and equipment. You just print your lesson and retreat to the sewing room, or wet studio ...
  • You get to know your computer in new and utilitarian ways
  • Inspiration - Though you may all have the same class assignment, every student puts their own spin and interpretation on it. There is usually a photo gallery where student share pictures of their progress and work.
  • Access to the instructors who can offer encouragement to help you get unstuck by problem-solving and offering suggestions. We can all purchase books filled with techniques, but it's this live interaction with the teacher and classmates that makes the classes so worthwhile.
  • Class assignments with flexible deadlines are incentive to do the work--not wait for the perfect break in your schedule
  • Reasonable rates
  • Lots of ideas come from your classmates--ideas about where to purchase supplies, what worked, and what didn't work. Sometimes the problems are just as instructive as the successes.
Challenges

  • Getting familiar and comfortable enough with your computer to make an online class work
  • Getting used to a new interface can also be challenging. For instance Quilt University's bulletin board style of posting messages seemed easy and intuitive. It took me a while to figure out how to efficiently work Joggles' class forums (Look for the New Posts links ...)
If you're curious about how an online quilting class works, Quilt University offers a free sample class to let you get the feel of it.

A few Selected Sources for Online Quilting / Mixed Media Classes :
This list is by no means exhaustive. If you have more to add, please leave a comment.

I've successfully taken online classes at :
Quilt University
I took 3 dyeing classes with Marjie McWilliams that I can highly recommend.

Tea Dyed Samples


Quilt Portraits with Marilyn Belford was also top-notch.


Fireworks class was also fun (This was my first online class--I just wanted to see how in the world these things work before I embarked on the Quilt Portraits class with MB).

I took a few others at QU ... including a class with Susan Brittingham where we made free-motion lace :



I took a few Electric Quilt classes, too, but realized that I would much rather sew and make stuff than spend even more time on the computer. I didn't take so well to those, but that was my problem. The teachers were top-notch authors who know the subjects well!

Joggles
Sue Bleiweiss's Mixed Media Surfaces class was a lot of fun! I'm just finishing it up now.

I have not taken classes with the following, so I can't vouch for them :
Embellished Cloth Community
Linda Kemshall - City & Guilds Program
Quilt Campus
Quilter's Threads - Click Online Classes
Quilters Keep Learning
Sharon Schamber Network - She seems to use actual video to teach, including lessons on long-arm quilting.

Many more quilt teachers are starting to offer online classes and tutorials on their own.


There are also a number of video demonstrations and lectures out there as well. Although these don't offer the interaction with other live students, these are also very useful, educational and inspiring!

Online Quilt Classes open up a whole new world of possibilities! I hope some of you try them!

[This entry updated May 3, 2008]

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

I too have become enamored with online class formats. it's so nice that I can do the work when it's convenient for me and I don't have to schlep my supplies to a class. I found the joggles bulletin board format easier than the QU but they both offer excellent classes.
This was a really nice analysis.

imquilternity said...

I agree...a very good analysis. I've taken classes at both joggles and QU. I did prefer the bulletin board style of communication rather than the forum at joggles only because you could access everything in one place. Instructors at both sites were excellent and very informative! It was fun and easy to work to my schedule and still be able to take a class. Thanks for sharing.

Carole said...

Great post! Thank you for taking the time to write about it. I've been thinking of taking an on line quilting class. Living in small town Upstate NY, quiting teachers are hard to come by. The classes at VQF close in not time. Keep well!

Anonymous said...

I too have become enamored with online class formats