Sunday, March 30, 2008

Polymer Clay Experiments



I've been wanting to make this little thing for 2-3 years now, ever since I saw it on HGtv on the Carol Duval show.

Instructions / Tutorial is here. It was also helpful to get the book, Liquid Polymer Clay by Ann Mitchell and Karen Mitchell. (Remember your local public library if you just want to take a look.)

The flat pieces are okay, but the 3-D construction looks kind of clumsy. And the Transfer Clay (windows) were an interesting experiment, but I don't feel compelled to do more of it.

Here's what I did with some of the leftover clay :

I've decided THIS is the way to go with hand-made beads. It's a much more pleasing texture than the shrinky-dink beads. Using the techniques described by Ann/Karen Mitchell, I used a rubber mat texture plate brushed with PearlEx powder to add the luster, and run through the pasta machine.

I even bought a pasta machine to dedicate to polymer clay. My intention was to make this candle holder and then turn the pasta maker over to Oliver who wants to be a potter when he grows up. Maybe we'll have to share this tool for a while ... I don't think I'll try too many more 3-D structures such as the candle holder, but the flat-textured pieces and beads are fun!

No comments: