Sunday, March 30, 2008

Snow Dyeing



The Dye Studio is usually closed for winter, just because the basement is too cold to work in for long (a cozy 45 degrees down there!). But a few people in Blogland have been experimenting with Snow Dyeing and getting some wonderful watercolor-like results. I decided I had to try it while we still had a little snow. It's melting fast now.

Basically, the technique is as follows :
1) Pre-soak cloth in soda ash solution
2) Arrange fabric in lumpy pancaske fashion
3) Pile snow on top
4) Pour on dyes
It's reminiscent of snow cones with sugar syrup.


5) Leave the snow to melt

After 1 hour


The next morning with dye soaked through snow. Not all the snow has melted in my cool basement.

6) Pour off excess dye, and remove the remaining snow (if any remains).


7) Rinse
Voila! Here are some more pictures :








The colors I used were from ProChem :
Bronze
Purple
Mulberry
Teal Blue
Leaf Green

Here are a few "stuff and dump" pieces to use the extra dye. I did sort of a gradation with 1/4 cup dye + 1/2 cup H20 in bottom of cup with fabric stuffed in + 1/4 cup full strength dye on top. These came out rather nicely.


Mulberry and Purple


Leaf Greens


Teal Blues



Cheesecloth Sop Cloths and "parfaits" made with leftover dye :


I want to try more of this!

Note on the colors : To my eyes, the colors in this dye session turned out brighter than in my summer dye sessions. So what did I do differently? Although I soaked these in warm water for several hours a couple of times, I did NOT run them through the washing machine with Synthropol or any other detergent. I'm wondering if the Synthropol was so strong (even a little bit?) that it took the color out of my newly dyed fabrics?

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

These are awesome! As for the brightness of the colors, you may find that the first time that you do wash them with detergent that more of the color fades. I find that if I don't thoroughly rinse/soak in very hot water and wash in the synthrapol in hot water that the color continues to run. Of course that's only a problem if the fabric is going into somethign to be washed I suppose. I have a lovely black/white/red quilt with pink spots to remind me when I want to skip a step! LOL!

Purple Missus said...

Hi Michele
Sorry but I couldn't find your email address anywhere. Wanted to say thank you so much for the bag-ette which came into my possession yesterday. I say that because I am sure it probably arrived at least a week ago only a bundle of our post went to the next door neighbours house - and they have been away!
Its a lovely little bag and a brilliant idea -recycling at its best :) I shall blog about it very shortly.
Also wanted to say this is a fantastic blog post. Love the results. Looking forward to seeing what you do with these fabrics now.
Anyway, thanks again and take care.
Lynda

hippopip said...

I loved the snow dyed fabrics great colours and patterns, we havent had enough snow here in the UK, but I could try scrapping the inside of the freezer out!

Dale Anne Potter said...

WOW!!! Those are FABULOUS.......sure wish we had the snow to try this!!!

Anonymous said...

Snow dyeing - how remarkable! I took some time to admire and be amazed at your ingenuity - and artistic skills, Michele - how truly beautiful and yet each masterpiece mirrors nature in simplicity. I wish you had a
benefactor who would scoop you up from the library and put you down in a studio designed by you where your talents could flow uninterrupted. Meantime, I
applaud your discipline in being able to pursue another labor long
after satisfying the employer. So many people have no expectations beyond the salaried job. Well, I'll just continue remembering the stunning colors (all my favorites: jade, raspberry, teal, fuschia), the textures, and the creations I admired on Sweet Leaf! Me dmiring You!
--Elaine