Thursday, May 08, 2008

Journal-palooza!

As Sue Bleiweiss' class Journal making for the Textile Artist is coming to an end, I've been hurriedly trying to finish all the journals for the lessons--and then some ... That would be the very reason you haven't seen a post from me in a while.

This is the one I like the best : another Faux Leather Journal. I think this is the one I'll start to use immediately. The button was a shank button that seemed to work really well if pushed through the Stiffy. I re-used the clip that held the button to the card upon purchase. It works just as well for holding it to the journal!





If you recall, my first attempt at the faux leather went bad with the funky finish a week or 2 ago. I decided to peel off the cheesy inside layer and add a fabric layer instead, that did not get sealed. Although I can still see some of the crusty underbelly at the edges, it's a vast improvement! A successful recovery project!


I made a couple other faux leather journals. On most of them, I used a metallic acrylic paint that seems to have worked out well. I finally decided to use a carnuba wax as a sealant. It will add some protection, but still leaves the paper supple. I'm still experimenting with finishes and sealants, though looking for the perfect finish. On this Blue one, the inside lining paper was colored with walnut inks. I added a pocket made from a pretty bag that came with a purchase.


Here's another Faux Leather Journal, this time painted with metallic bronze paint. The Raku button for the closure came from Laura Murray's stand at the Quilt Show in Chicago a few weeks ago. The lining fabric was another scrap off the free pile at Quilt Guild one night. One qulter's trash is another's treasure!



The wide plaid journal was a scrap of fabric taken off the give-away table at quilt guild one night. Someone brought in a handful of drapery samples. I grabbed a few of them. ;-)


I really like this style of binding--the stitching pattern is so simple and pleasing!






I also finished the Lesson 5 journal. This was a fun one, to make, too. I used ordinary kitchen twine for the bindings--but first I died them with green and orange Dye-na Flow Paints. Otherwise it was too much of a stark contrast with the dark fabric and the white twine. I bought the beads last week, and when I got them home, my 7-year old wanted some of them for his role-playing games. These beads are perfect talismans and treasure jewels with untold powers--all part of the game.

Thanks, Sue, for a great class! I look forward to the next round!

7 comments:

Vicki W said...

These are all terrific!

Anonymous said...

They are all stunning, Michele - I don't know which one I like best!
Celia

Anonymous said...

Michele those are all fabulous! I love that one with the Raku button, that is very cool. I'm glad you enjoyed the class, it was a lot of fun for me too!

Sue B

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Wonderful, wonderful journals, Michele. I especially love the metallic-painted one!

Anonymous said...

Golly, you are so prolific, Michele! I love them.... I have only just kept up with the first 4!

Liz

hippopip said...

Superb journals, you have benn working hard, I love the metallic blue one with the walnut ink dyed interior

Anonymous said...

After reading your fantastic blog this morning, I enrolled in the
journal making class series that begins on Monday. I am really looking
forward to it. Thanks for the information!
Sandy