Friday, May 30, 2008

Vogue Fabrics



In Chicago last week at a conference for work, a quilting collegue and I ventured out to Vogue Fabrics on Franklin. I had not been there in about 12 years (since I went there to get linen and silk for my wedding dress--someday I'll blog about that project).

Vogue still has a wonderful and affordable selection of linens, silks, woolens -- even Damask like the dyers in West Africa used for their best cloth. It just makes my mouth water at the possibilities there!

They had silk for $7/yard! If I were still making dresses, I'd be ordering from them regularly!

They also had real silk chiffon--what a difference compared to the scratchy polyester crap.
Real silk chiffon is light and airy and silky--you hardly feel any weight on your skin. It's wonderful. I regret leaving the silk chiffon there. I might have to mail order a piece!

It's true, they don't have much in the way of cottons for quilters. It seems to be more of a fabric store for clothing. Still, I managed to find a few things there for my stash!

I purchased
* a sparkly piece of synthetic fabric that said Northern Lights to me for $2/yard
* a silk remnant destined to be a wholecloth wallhanging(?)
* Linen remnant (another wholecloth piece or indigo dyed?)
* Buttons for Journal Closures
* Batik

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very good, thanks for sharing your purchase history with vouge fabrics.
Fabrics USA Inc | African Wax Print Fabric

Unknown said...

nice post. thanks for this
Sequin Fabrics