Friday, May 30, 2008

Shaving Cream Dye : Round 2 : Mess-Making with Oliver












2 by Oliver

Oliver and I tried this last summer, if you want to read about it ...

At the Quilt Show in Chicago in April, I saw a demo of a "tidier" way to do this. Instead of mixing dyes, we used inks and Dye-na Flow Textile paints.

As I was pulling the fabric off, I noticed there's a "sweet spot"--a point at which the shaving cream and colors are just right so that when you pull off the fabric, only the color lifts off with a minimal amount of the shaving foam. Though I can't tell you how to arrive at that "sweet spot," I do know it exists and it's possible ... Anyone out there care to educate the rest of us? Please leave a comment. ;-)

For a few of them, I was even able to get several "pulls" or prints. On this one, the left-most one is the 1st pull ; the watercolor side (right) is the 2nd pull :


I started using toothpicks to spatter the ink, but that didn't seem very effective. Neither did the toothpicks do much for the mixing / marbling. A chopstick might have worked better.

I've also been wanting to try mono-printing this summer. It occurs to me that this form of shaving cream dye IS mono-printing.






I wonder if acrylic paints would work for this--watered down to 1/2 strength? What about adding salt?

The only disaster at this session was afterwards. We were working outside in the yard on a large piece of pink foam insulation. All I have to do for clean-up is hose it off, and let it dry. Well, while it was drying, Oliver decided to jump on it and see if it would hold his weight (He's 7 yeas old.) It didn't and the whole piece cracked right down the middle. Eeesh!

No comments: