Sunday, June 29, 2008

Feathers


I'm still slowly working my way through the sample batting sample squares. This shows a sample marked with quilting paper. I traced the feather onto the tissue paper with a permanent marker, then pinned it in place on the batting square sandwich. Then I free-motion quilted over the lines, through the paper.

When the stitching is complete, the paper can be pulled off. This takes a little bit of effort, but scoring the tissue paper with a sharp pin helps.



This particular batting is Hobbs Cotton (my favorite batting). These will all look a little different again after they are washed (like a real quilt would be). Washing will also help to remove the last little bits of the tissue paper.

This is also a great way to practice free-motion quilting.

This seems to be the best way to mark something like feathers. I'm not comfortable enough to do them free-hand yet.

No comments: