Sunday, June 29, 2008

Big Black Bug Postcard

Cathy Jeffers says "Art Quilts come from the heart." This one came from my right ovary ...



A few months ago, I had a Reiki session, energy work. I have an ovarian cyst that bothers me periodically. During the Reiki session, I saw a big black bug crawl out of my ovary/hip (figuratively, not for real) -- maybe now it can heal. The color of the art paper came out to be the colors that I visualized the ovary.


Detail of the June Bug (Dover Archive)


I've been wanting to try image transfer methods. Above, you can see the results of the gel medium method with the paper hanging off of it. The transparency version didn't work any better. This didn't really seem to work at all for me. Neither did ironing a laser jet print copy. Maybe the paper was too dark, not allowing enough contrast between the black bugs and the relatively dark base paper ...

The method that actually DID seem to work was the Packing Tape method. Although there remains the shiny tape, the image transferred beautifully. But it was still a little too subtle, so I highlighted the bugs in the final postcard (above) with a little couched yarn.

I'll be doing more experiments with th image transfers to find out what works ... There appear to be some wonderful tutorials here. Worthy of more exploration.

No comments: