Sunday, August 10, 2008

Rust Dyeing Experiments

Inspired by Purple Missus's fantastic rust-dyeing results (here, here, here, here, and here), I wanted to try this. Stay a while on Lynda's blog--she does some wonderful work with textures and color!

So I mixed up a pan of caustic tea (3 liters hot water with 50 tea bags) and 1 pan of iron water (250 grams iron mix with 3 liters warm water).

Note on the iron : I was not able to find Ferrous Sulphate (a plant fertilizer) locally. So I bought some "fast-acting iron" at Menards. It's got a few other things in it--like urea and pot-ash. But since these are familiar dyer's ingredients, I decided to give it a try. Here's the bag and the content mix :




After a few hours, both pans looked remarkably like the tea. I dipped the fabrics as described by Purple Missus. My fabrics wound up looking tea-stained rather than rust-stained. I hung them up to dry and oxidize for a week. Even after a week, they still seemed disappointing--more like old dirty rags than anything I'd want to use in a quilt. They looked a little better when I brought them upstairs for pictures ...

On Round 2, I ordered some Iron Sulphate from a garden center out west. No one in my area carries it--we have plenty of naturally-occurring iron in The Rust Belt. What arrived in the package was Bonide Root Rot Stopper. Hmmmh ... they shipped the wrong item. Fate made me wait again. It was another week before the right stuff came. Here's the iron sulphate :



Obviously, there is a difference in the content of the mixtures. I thought perhaps that was the difference in the results I got vs. Purple Missus gorgeous colors. Nope--there's something else going on ... maybe with additives in my local water supply?

Here's what I got with Round 1 (with the Fast Acting Iron mix) before washing :











Here's what I got on Round 2 with the actual Iron Sulphate :


This one was Lois Jarvis' storm clouds method with bits of tea sprinkled on the fabric along with the iron. This is dramatic, and could warrant more experimenting ... Maybe if I ground up the iron into a dust or powder rather than using the pellets? Lois Jarvis explains it in this interview with Bonnie McCaffery. I actually purchased one of her scarves in April.







These actually look better in the pictures than they do in real life. These are the more interesting ones. Most of the Round 2 fabs came out looking like old rags that ought to be retired.

Maybe I'll just put these away for a while. They might look better to me in a few months ...

Here's another thought --if it's iron I need for this project, why not use Blood Meal?

All this experimenting--some with disappointing results--makes me realize that I may be squandering my time and effort away on all these other sidelines. It takes time away from what I am good at--Art Quilts. Ah, but summer is supposed to be too hot to be in the sewing room. Summer is the time to retreat to the cool basement.

At that point, here are my options :
1) Ask Purple Missus for a sample of her dreamy results
2) Ask Lois Jarvis (of Rust-Tex) where to get the iron powder
3) Order Lois's CD and learn to do it for Midwest conditions. I know she has meticulously researched this, and has only methods for reproduce-able results on her CD
4) Give up on Rust-dyeing altogether
5) Continue to experiment - Over-dye these with more rust or Pro-Chem dyes

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Some of your colours are really quite interesting but why not just wrap some vinegar soaked fabrics around rusty items like I do? An old bean can takes only a few days to turn to rust in this lovely weather and away you go!! MUch easier than using chemicals!

Kristin said...

Hi Michele,

I read your blog sometimes (we've been in a few classes together at QU and I think one on joggles). Anyway, I wanted to comment on your post today. I also read Purple Missus sometimes and had read about her experiments with iron sulphate, and wanted to try it. I found a source near me for the ferrous sulphate: http://www.earthguild.com/ (in NC). A 1 lb. container is $2.40. I bought some but haven't tried it yet. I thought the caustic soda was soda ash, but I sent her an email which she graciously answered and said it was lye. Earth Guild may carry lye also, but I didn't realize I needed this when I was there. I plan to try this when I find the lye. Good luck with your experiments!

Kristin in SC

Susan Italo said...

Michele, I've been rusting successfully for a year, and I also tried to "rust" using some iron products from the garden store. It turned out yucky and disappointing. But, I did figure out that tannin (which gives a nice black color to the rusting fabric) is available in powder form from an wine-making shop. Look around for a wine making/beer brewing shop. Haven't tried it (yet) but it does seem like a good experiment.
BTW, speaking of experiments-- don't stop! You're having fun, and every fabric can be overdyed, or painted, or stenciled... keep on going!

fontainefleurie said...

Hi Michele, I have found your blog while I was looking for other blogs about rust-dying. It is interesting what you are doing and I like the way you comment on what you are doing. Well, I have been tagged and I like you to tag. There is a link now at my www.dovadi.web-log.nl/fiberfusing. Read about the details and feel free to do or not to do. Thanks, Dorie

fontainefleurie said...

thanks Michelle for giving the tag a change. Take your time as I did with this. I agree with Anna, please stop to use the chemicals, the change is that you overload the amountant. As I did on my last experiment. Give the bags full of ironsulphate to your garden and experiment with old rusty things or wire. You can make your own scrap from it too. Much, much more fun and creative and much much better for your own health and gentle to our nature... So for now I wish you a lot of exiting experiments xD