Thursday, August 09, 2012

Beyond Layers Day 32 : Book Review


Ahab's Wife by Seena Jeeter Naslund.  The author's name just rolls off the tongue with a familiar and comfortable rhythm.  It's fun to say!  This is my choice for the Book Review Assignment.

Since Ahab's Wife is itself a nod to great literature, I was trying to find a way to work in Moby Dick, but my only copy is on my Kindle and is not very picturesque.  I couldn't find a way to make that work.  In the end, I went with Ahab's quote and the title, feeling that would be enough of an allusion to MD.  After all, there is only one Ahab.

The lantern reminds me of the house they bought in Nantucket, with the cuppola at the top where Una used to perch and watch for the Pequod to return to port.

The starfish is obvious : She was the Stargazer. Of course!

Why I love this book : I love the character of Una and her invincible spirit.  She is strong, resilient.  She is a survivor.   She is Spring, as Ahab recognized soon after meeting her.  Her adventures are every bit as interesting and compelling as Ahab's--except she's not crazy.

At first, I thought it was an odd pairing : young and vibrant Una and that craggy, crazy old Ahab. ??? 
Her spirit was his match--She had been to sea on a whaling ship, stowed away as a cabin boy.  Her ship was stove by a whale--same as Moby Dick.  She survived.  She knew about life on a whaling ship.   Oh what she lived through -- an abusive father, ship wreck, a crazy first husband, a crazy 2nd husband ...  There were lots of good things in between the harrowing episodes.  She lived a remarkable life BEFORE she ever met Ahab, which I think was unusual for her day and age.  That also appeals to me.  She was Captain of her Fate at a time there were few opportunities for women.    I could say much more about this book, but I'll leave it at this ...

Every few years, I have to revisit this book.  It's like comfort food, or talking with an old friend.  These days it's usually on audio, so I can be making things at the same time.  ;-)

Processing on this photo :
Layer 1 : Copy background Layer
Layer 2 : Kim Klassen's Pumpkin Grunge; Soft Light Blend mode at 55% opacity
Layer 3 : Text - Font : Ruthie   Normal at 45%
"There's Spring aboard the Pequod, and her name is Una!"
Layer 4 : Copy Text Layer  Soft Light 100% ; slightly different color
Layer 5 : Kim Klassen's Sweet Treat; Soft Light 45%
Flattened Image
Then layed atop the background frame by Eddi van W Petals.
Added a Layer style setting with a frame.

Here's another version :



beyondlayers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying the adobe pictures! Ahab's wife is my wallpaper in my iPad right now.
--J.