Sunday, May 05, 2013

Beyond Beyond - Day 4 : Inside Out or Cello by the Lake

Cello by the Lake

For this week's lesson, Kim asked us to photograph something that normally resides inside the house, outside.  Inside Out.  At first I was kind of stumped as to what to do ...  Everyone in the class had such great ideas -- raspberries on a wooden stump, a Ball canning jar at sunset, a gold picture frame hung on dry prairie grasses, bathroom table.

While I was going through the lesson notes and vids, I was also listening to the radio.  45 North was interviewing cellist Zoe Keating.   The title of her new album is called Into the Trees ...   Then I got to thinking about how much I have always loved cello; how grateful and pleasantly surprised that my kid actually decided to play cello this year in school, and how we'll probably have to give it back at the end of the school year--only a month away.    He told me he chose cello for the simple reason that he could have a practice cello at home and wouldn't have to lug it back and forth to school.  Practical.  I am amazed at what he's learned in just 1 year!  The Orchestra teacher is a miracle worker.   ;-)    So I'm looking at the cello leaning against Oliver's desk and I think : The Woods!  I can photograph OKL's cello in the woods!  Except, we don't have any woods nearby ...  But we do have a lake with trees!  So this morning, I took his cello for a ride ...  The cello is much easier to photograph than a surly 6th grader!  Such lovely curves--so many possibilities!





Here's the photo I started with.  

Here is the processing on the single photo at the top of this post :
Layer 1 : Background Image
Layer 2 : Copy Background Layer > RadLab (Troy+Antique Tone+Boutwell Magic Glasses 2+ EZ Burn 2)
Layer 3 : Kim Klassen's Cool Grunge Texture - Multiply blend mode at 51% opacity
Layer 4 : Copy Layer 3 - Soft Light 54%
Layer 5 : Kim Klassen's Paper Stained Music Texture - Multiply 52%
Layer 6 : Kim Klassen's Break Free Texture - Soft Light at 72%
Layer 7 : Kim Klassen's Pumpkin Grunge - Overlay at 24%

I came away with several decent shots from the Cello by the Lake photo shoot, so I wanted to try another Light Room Layout with some of the other shots.



Here's the Layout in Light Room with the images straight outta my camera.

Here's the processing to get the texturized version above :
Layer 1 : Background Image
Layer 2 : RadLab with Troy + Gramma's Tap Shoes + EZ Burn2
Layer 3 : Kim Klassen's Cool Grunge Texture - Multiply at 53%
Layer 4 : Text (added last)  Pea Keylor Font
Layer 5 : Kim Klassen's Paper Stained Music - Multiply 51%
Layer 6 : Kim Klassen's Break Free Texture - Soft Light 72%
Layer 7 : Kim Klassen's Warm Sun Texture - Soft Light 41%
                     with Layer Mask to brush off some texture on cellos

Enjoy Zoe Keating's "The Optimist:"


Beyond Layers

3 comments:

Becs said...

Love your interpretation of this theme! Great image and I love how you've used the textures.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This image is amazingly beautiful. You've taken a work of art and made a work of art. I love musical instruments, they have a beauty about them that is so classic and sublime. My instrument is a grand piano - Love. Thank you for stopping by my blog....

Life Images by Jill said...

oh gorgeous - I love what you have done with this - beautiful artwork.
Admired in Beyond Beyond