Not at all my style, but I wanted to practice using the cutout / texture masking technique that Rodney Brown and Jai Johnson posted earlier. Jai's wonderful textures are perfect for this kind of thing! It makes it look like a bona fide portrait of a distinguished person (dog nation included).
The subject is actually a statue of a little French bulldog that our French relatives have in their apartment (One day Thoma hopes to have a real one!) My sister does have one in Japan. So this light-hearted pet portrait goes out to both of them--and French Bull Dog lovers everywhere.
Here's the original photo I started with.
Photo Processing layer-by-layer :
1) Background image - French Bulldog (Layer off)
2) Jai Johnson Texture Old Masters 5 - Normal blend mode - 100% opacity
3) Bulldog shadow with blur - Multiply 37%
4) Bulldog cutout - Normal 100%
5) Copy Layer 4 - Soft Light 22%
6) Jai Johnson At the Sea Texture, masked off of dog - Soft Light 100%
(This does not reflect the actual progression of steps to arrive at the final image, but it is the final set of layers.)
Sharing with The Texture Artists Facebook Group.