Saturday, March 11, 2017

Color Gamp in Shetland Wool


I haven't even finished off the current warp on the floor loom, and I'm already planning the next project.  There is a certain amount of fear, almost grief to cut a project off the loom.  At this point in my newbie weaving career, I LOVE the repetition and motion -- meditation -- of weaving.  Once it's set up, everything is in order, and I can be productive.  You SEE the cloth winding on ...  Once I cut it off, the loom is in a state of waiting.    And it may be a while before I get up the gumption to get it all warped again -- In my mind, the warping process is still CHAOS to me.  I know there is a definite method (several, actually), and in the end it all seems to work out ...  So in effort to limit that resting period for the loom (who I know wants to be in service and working), I've been spending a fair amount of free time thinking about the NEXT project.

Soon after I acquired the Kessenich Floor Loom last fall, I got interested in doing a color study -- similar to what I did with the hand dye color charts from 3 primaries.  Similarly in weaving, the colors of warp and weft strands interact to display other colors ...  It also makes a difference what weave structure / pattern you choose in terms of what color comes through, or is "seen" by the eye.


There are a lot of cotton kits out there with very vibrant colors.  However, me being a Fiber Girl, and not afraid of wool, I was more interested in the only wool option I could find : This Shetland Wool Color Study Blanket Kit from Yarn Barn.  I'd found a couple of bloggers who worked it up,  and that cinched it for me. Especially this one from Kristine at St. Seraphina Fiber Arts.

My loom is not quite as wide as is required for the kit, so I decided to set up my loom for double weave in which case I would weave a double layer of cloth with a fold on the right side, which should be totally do-able on a 4-shaft loom like I have.  The only draw-back to the double-weave option is that I'll be limited to plain weave, or common cloth, since I only have 4 shafts.  I had originally wanted to try a more interesting weave structure than just plain weave (maybe a twill), and I fully understand it won't be a thorough color study if I didn't look at different weave structures.  Common weave won't tell the whole color story ...

The wheels are turning as I work out what I need to do to make this work ...

No comments: